June 2016

Perverted Plymouth musician jailed for sexually abusing three girls over two decades


A former musician has been jailed for ten years after being found guilty of indecently assaulting three girls over more than two decades.

George Fry, aged 72, was found guilty of nine charges of indecent assault and one of attempted indecent assault on the girls between 1982 and 2002.

One of the girls estimated she was abused two or three times a month between the ages of 11 and 17.

At the time Fry was a professional singer and guitarist with the Plymouth band Wild Country.

Fry, now living in Heamoor, Penzance, had moved to the city in his 20s and started work in a factory. However, he gave it up to be a professional musician, playing at night in Plymouth pubs and clubs.

The first victim only came forward in 2013 when training for a professional post brought back some of her emotions from more than a decade before.

Police then traced two other victims who told similar stories of abuse.

One said she was regularly touched in bed by Fry for years but pretended to be asleep and tried not to think about what was happening.

Another said she told her mother of the abuse, only to be told she was having a “bad dream’.

In mitigation, Fry’s advocate Kelly Scrivener said the 72 year old’s early life was “horrendous” after his mother left him and his siblings to fend for themselves until a year later when social services was made aware. From the age of nine to 14 he lived with his grandparents. He suffered racism growing up in Cornwall because his grandmother was black.

Failing to find work in Cornwall he moved to Plymouth.

Ms Scrivener said over the past decade he had led “an unblemished life” and character references were offered to the Recorder for consideration.

Recorder Martin Meeke QC, said the evidence presented to the court by the three victims was “heart rending and clearly difficult for them to give”

He said Fry showed “not a single sign of emotion or of concern for any one of them” adding that his not guilty pleas were a “selfish and cold-hearted attempt to avoid conviction.”

Recorder Meeke said he had little doubt Fry’s childhood experienced had “marked” him but went on to describe the offences in details, noting the “campaign of sexual offending and degradation” of the young girls he abused.

He noted that he was sentencing Fry under the 1956 Sexual Offences Act, for incidents which under the 2003 Act would be considered oral rape of a child aged under 13 years, adding it was “difficult to perceive of a more indecent act”.

He sentenced Fry to a total of 10 years – five years and two years for the offences against the first girl to run consecutively, and a further 18 months for offences against each of the other two girls.

His licence was extended by a year to three-and-a-half year and Fry was ordered to be placed on the Sex Offender Register for life.

He was also made subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order where he would not be able to communicate with any female child under 16 nor live in the same premises as a female child without authority of social services.