September 2017

Paedophile caught with children in his house after surprise visit from police

A convicted sex offender gave a false name to children to stop them finding out about his past on the internet, a court heard.

Mark Dowson was caught with children in his Saltburn home after lying to his supervising police officer that he was “10 minutes away”.

The 38-year-old was given a three-year community order in August last year for sending sex texts to a schoolgirl.

He called a 15-year-old girl and sent her a “dirty old man’s text” saying he wanted to make a video of them having sex.

He wrote: “Keep it between us. Delete all messages and get here ASAP.

“I’ve got a car if you want to go for a ride, and we’ll make a video together naked… make it a night to remember.”

Sentencing him last year, Judge Sean Morris said: “It was a stupid thing that you got yourself drunk and sent an inappropriate message to a 15-year-old girl.

“For goodness sake, you are a grown man.”

Dowson received the community order after he spent 10 weeks remanded in custody and pleaded guilty to causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

He went on to befriend a mum while using the alias Jonesy or Jowsy, Teesside Crown Court heard on Wednesday.

He made it known he had been in trouble for sending “a couple of texts when he was drunk”, but did not tell the full truth.

He became a regular visitor to the mum’s home over four months, said prosecutor Rachel Masters.

He did not tell her of a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO) banning him from unsupervised contact with girls under 16.

Dowson was caught when the officer found two pre-teen children of the mum in his home on August 16 this year.

He did not register his “Jonesy” name to police, which he had to do as a registered sex offender.

And he confessed he used the name to stop the children finding out about his past online.

The mum later said she was upset and felt stupid for trusting Dowson.

Dowson, of Windsor Road, admitted two breaches of the SHPO, failing to comply with sex offender notification requirements and possession of cannabis.

Judge Stephen Ashurst said it was “worrying” that Dowson deliberately deceived others to hide his true identity.

He said Dowson, who had been assessed as a high risk of re-offending, deliberately defied the court order under the nose a police officer.

“It is just as well that the police officer did go around physically and checked where you were on that occasion, and to discover what had happened,” he added.

He jailed Dowson for 15 months.

Dowson was given a new SHPO and will be on the sex offenders’ register, both for 10 years.

June 2016

Redcar man sent text to underage girl asking her to make indecent video with him

A man sent a text to an underage girl asking her to make an indecent video with him, a court was told.

The shocked 15-year-old showed the mobile message to her mum who went around to tackle Mark Dowson, 37, at his home in Redcar .

Dowson was drunkenly trying to send another text, and the mum snatched his phone off him and she handed it to the police.

Prosecutor Paul Abrahams told Teesside Crown Court that Dowson had sent two texts and made a number of calls to the girl that day.

He said in the first message on May 14: “Keep it between us.

“Delete all messages and get here ASAP.

“Can’t wait to see your face when you see what I’ve got for you, kiss”.

Then in a second message he told the girl he had a car to go for a ride in and asked her to make the video adding they would “make it a night to remember”.

Mr Abrahams said that the girl was clearly upset by the messages.

She went to her mum, who then went to Dowson’s home. He was drunk and she confronted him, snatching his phone.

Mr Abrahams said that the Crown regarded it as grooming behaviour. There was an application for a Sexual Harm Prevention Order banning Dowson from contact with girls under 16.

He had previous convictions for 28 offences since the 90s, but none involving sex.

Graham Silvester, defending, said that there were several references for Dowson, including from his brother.

However Judge Shaun Morris said he wanted to ensure the teenager did not have to face Dowson again saying: “I’m more concerned that this young girl does not have to face him again, and I want cast iron guarantees.“

Dowson had been in custody since his arrest, and he was brought from Holme House Prison, Stockton, to be sentenced.

The judge adjourned sentence but warned that he had not ruled out immediate custody.

Dowson, of Kielder Close, Redcar, was remanded in custody for sentencing at a later date after he admitted causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.