A dangerous sexual predator who subjected a 15-year-old girl to a terrifying rape in Norwich has died by hanging in prison, an inquest has heard.
Charlie March, 42, of Moorgate Road, Dereham, admitted raping the girl in a woodland area in West Earlham.
At a sentencing hearing at Norwich Crown Court in 2017, Judge Anthony Bate said he agreed with a report which showed March posed a “high risk of serious harm” to children.
March was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison and was put on the sex offenders’ register for life.
He died at Bure Prison on Sunday May 17.
An inquest into March’s death was opened at Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Norwich on Monday June, 1.
Area coroner Yvonne Blake said the medical cause of death was hanging.
The inquest has been adjourned until April 22 next year.
Sex offender jailed for seven and half years for raping 15-year-old girl
A “high risk” sex offender who raped a 15-year-old girl in Norwich woodland has been jailed for seven and half years and placed on the sex offender’s register for life.
Charlie March, 39, had been chatting with the girl but then raped her when they walked through a wooded area, in West Earlham, despite the girl desperately trying to get him to stop, Norwich Crown Court heard.
Duncan O’Donnell, prosecuting said March forced himself on the girl biting her face and said: “She tried to push him off. She kept saying no.”
He said the victim was crying and at one point March thought they might be disturbed by a passer-by and had put his hand over the girl’s mouth to stop her alerting anyone.
“She was crying. He put his hand over her mouth and told her to be quiet.”
Mr O’Donnell said the girl eventually got away but had not dared come forward about what happened until months later.
Mr O’Donnell said in an impact statement the victim told how she has had to have counselling and was now a “shadow of the person she was” because of the actions of March.
She said the rape had harmed her “emotionally, mentally and physically.”
March of Moorgate Road, Dereham, admitted raping the girl.
The court heard he had a previous conviction for committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence and Judge Anthony Bate said that he agreed with a report which showed he posed a “high risk of serious harm” to children.
He also made March subject to a sexual harm prevention order.
Judge Bate however gave credit for March pleading guilty and said March now showed some insight into his offending and recognised the risks he posed.
He said that March should work in custody to reduce his offending behaviour.