November 2017

Convicted rapist breached court order by spending six hours with underage girls

A sex offender – convicted of raping an 11-year-old girl – breached a court order when he spent six hours with two teenage girls.

The youngsters were reporting missing after hanging out with a group which included Daniel Johnson, a 21-year-old with a rape conviction.

Police found the girls at a tram stop in the early hours after one had claimed to her mum they were having a sleepover.

The girls were actually with Johnson, a 17-year-old girl and a man last August, and nothing untoward happened.

But Johnson’s contact with them landed him in trouble. He is banned from having unsupervised contact with any girl under 16 after he was convicted of the rape.

And by spending time with the girls, however innocent his actions were, put him in breach of the court order – called a sexual harm prevention order.

Nottingham Crown Court heard on Tuesday (November 21) the group tried to get a hotel room over the six hours but were unsuccessful. They returned to Nottingham city centre, then went to an address linked to a friend of Johnson’s.

“There was a grievance between the defendant and a man at the address,” said prosecutor Hannah Whelan.

“Both girls reported the man armed himself with a knife and hammer. Both had cause to run away from that address.”

They returned to the city centre where the group took a taxi to an address in Radford and left in the early hours.

“The girls parents were concerned about their whereabouts – because it became clear they had lied about being at the friend’s house,” added Miss Whelan.

“Police were notified and they were reported missing and found at a tram stop at 2am and returned to a place of safety.

“Both girls didn’t suggest he made any advances towards them in their statements. Both girls felt the defendant was more annoying than anything else.

“One girl suggested at one point they were dancing to music. The defendant made an inappropriate comment about the full view he had of them dancing. Other than that the Crown does not suggest anything untoward occurred.”

Johnson, of Birkin Avenue, Hyson Green, was 17 years-old when he raped the 11-year-old in July 2013.

At court in May 2015, he was given a three-year community order, probation supervision and a mental health requirement.

And he was ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register and be subject to the sexual harm prevention order.

Johnson had already breached the prevention order once before.

In March 2016, he touched a 15-year-old over her clothes on her chest and bottom. He received 12 weeks in custody concurrently for the breach and for sexual activity with the girl.

Mitigating on Johnson’s behalf, Clarkson Baptiste said his client had ADHD and profound learning difficultiies.

He said the breach, which Johnson pleaded guilty to, arose because of his interest in the 17-year-old.

Johnson was given 24 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months, 15 rehabilitation activity days, and was prohibited from contacting the two girls, who cannot be indentified.

He remains on the sex offenders’ register and on the sexual harm prevention order.

August 2017

Sex offender met two 14-year-olds and tried to book hotel for the night

A sex offender met two schoolgirls outside a city cinema and tried to book a hotel room for the night.

The 14-year-olds were reported missing but were found by police after he suggested going to St Ann’s, Nottingham magistrates heard [August 11].

Daniel Johnson, 20, is banned from unsupervised contact with any girl under 16.

This was imposed by a crown court judge on May 13 last year.

He pleaded guilty to breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order without a reasonable excuse in Nottingham on Wednesday.

He will be sentenced at the crown court on September 1.

Anna Pierrepont, prosecuting, said the girls had been planning “a sleepover” and knew Johnson slightly.

He arrived on a bike outside the Cornerhouse and asked about one of the pair.

Johnson was with another man and they left together in a group, the court heard.

“Daniel suggested they try to book a hotel room. They went to the Clarence Hotel and the Stage Hotel.

“Fortunately the night porter was not satisfied with Daniel’s age and didn’t allow them to book a room.

“Then he suggested they go to a house in St Ann’s,” said Miss Pierrepont.

Soon after the girls decided to leave the group.

“They said the boys were becoming annoying, started to fight or playfight. Police picked them up at 2am,” Miss Pierrepont said.

She opposed bail for Johnson but this was granted on condition that he lives with his mother in Birkin Avenue, Nottingham.

He must wear an electronic tag and obey a curfew between noon the midnight until he appears at the crown court.