October 2017

Paedophile busted by police as he frantically tried to delete vile pictures of drugged-up toddlers

A former Army engineer was caught trying to delete sick images of children from his computer when police burst through his door.

Officers arrived at Malcolm Bryant’s flat in Lindsey Place, west Hull, at 7.50pm on January 31, and although he was in, he failed to answer the door, Hull Crown Court heard.

Jayne Bryan, prosecuting, said: “Having received no reply to their continuous knocking they entered by force. The defendant was present and was arrested.”

The computer monitor showed Bryant was running a CCleaner programme, which was in the process of deleting files, with more than nine megabytes of material already deleted.

But forensic analysts were able to see what he had been doing, and he had accessed files with names sickeningly graphic titles.

From a computer tower and hard drive, police found 54 Catgeory A images, the most serious, 100 at Category B, and 68 Category C images.

Miss Bryan said there were “a large number of different victims”, some as young as two. “In some of the images the child was intoxicated or clearly under the influence of drugs,” she said.

Bryant had also been using a messaging service, where another user went under the name “Rugby perv”. Explicit child abuse was being discussed.

In interview, Bryant, 61, denied having a sexual interest in children, or “purposefully” searching for indecent images. He claimed diabetes and Peyronie’s disease had “rendered him impotent”, and he searched the internet for pornography to overcome his problem.

He also claimed if he came across indecent images he would “immediately close the link”.

Bryant admitted three offences of making indecent images of children.

Bryant was sentenced to eight months in jail, suspended for two years, and was placed under a four-month curfew between 7pm and 7am.

He must register as a sex offender for ten years, was made subject to a sexual harm prevention order for the same period, and must have 50 days rehabilitation. He was also ordered to pay £250 costs.