March 2018

Man admits raping and sexually assaulting girls

A man who raped two girls after filming them exposing themselves to him has been told to expect a “serious custodial sentence”.

A court was told was told Callum Sneddon, 30, also raped a third girl and sexually assaulted another.

Sneddon, of Stenhousemuir, Stirlingshire, pled guilty to three charges of rape and two charges of sexual assault.

He will be sentenced on 20 April at the High Court in Edinburgh.

The offences took place between 2014 and last year.

The court was told that police were contacted after one of the victims told her parents.

Judge Lady Scott remanded Sneddon in custody and ordered a report to be made into his character.

She told Sneddon: “You will be facing a serious custodial sentence.”

During proceedings, relatives of Sneddon’s victims sat in the public benches whilst Mr Richardson told the court of the accused’s behaviour.

One man was told to leave court after he interrupted Mr Richardson’s narrative to shout abuse at Sneddon.

Mr Richardson told the court that Sneddon sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl on an occasion between June 2014 and June 2015.

Mr Richardson said that following the assault, the girl told detectives that the assault was “painful.”

On an occasion between September 2014 and September 2016, Sneddon also raped a 14-year-old girl.

Mr Richardson told the court: “The complainer was watching television with the accused. She describes the accused as ‘grabbing’ her and removing her trousers and underwear.

“The complainer said that when she asked him why he was doing that, he led her to believe that there was nothing wrong with it.

“During the course of the rape the complainer asked him to stop but he didn’t.”

The court heard that Sneddon was caught by police after one of his seven-year-old victims became upset during a day off from school in November 2017.

The court heard that the little girl told her parents about what happened and they got in touch with the police.

Detectives then launched an investigation and collected enough evidence to bring him to court.

Describing the moment, police first interviewed Sneddon on November 17 last year, Mr Richardson said: “The interview thereafter concluded at approximately 21.30 hours at which point the accused broke down and cried.

“The accused was ultimately arrested and made no reply to charge.”