Keith Logan spared jail for sex attacks allowed to go free despite breaching curfew
A pervert who was spared jail after he carried out sex attacks on two girls under 16 has been given another chance to stay out of prison – despite repeatedly breaching the terms of a curfew.
Keith Logan was handed a “restriction of liberty order” (RLO) as part of his punishment after he touched the two girls – who were aged 13 and 14 at the time – at a property in Drumry more than two years ago.
He was told on being sentenced that his community payback order was a direct alternative to custody.
But a court hearing on Friday was told that the 44-year-old had breached the order on several occasions after being found outside of his current home in Faifley.
Logan was made the subject of a six-month curfew back in November, when he was also put under social workers’ supervision for two years, placed on the sex offenders’ register for the same length of time, and ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work – the maximum available under the law.
The sentence was imposed after he was found guilty at a trial of repeatedly touching his 14-year-old victim on the body in a sexual manner, embracing her and kissing her at a property in Garscadden View on April 29, 2017.
On the same day, and at the same property, he touched the 13-year-old girl on the body sexually.
And in a separate incident, on July 3, 2017, he seized hold of a women at a property in Montrose Street in Clydebank and touched her sexually.
Logan committed all three offences just a month after being granted bail at Dumbarton Sheriff Court.
He returned to the same court on Friday after background reports were sought following his admission that he breached the terms of the curfew by being outside of his current home in Orbiston Drive in Faifley on numerous occasions.
His solicitor, Gail Campbell, said: “The reports do not make for good reading. There can be no doubt that his explanation for the breaches of the tagging order are unsatisfactory.
“But the reports do indicate there has been a serious downturn in his mental health.”
Sheriff Simon Pender replied: “Why does that mean he has to be outside when he’s not meant to be?”
Ms Campbell replied: “He tells me he contacted [tag monitoring company] G4S and said he was out, then phoned them to say he was back in.
“The times spent outside his home address, with a couple of exceptions, are in minutes – from seven minutes to 17. But he has to understand it’s not at his discretion.”
Ms Campbell said she was “surprised” to discover Logan had not been attending alcohol counselling appointments – a specific requirement set down in his sentence.
“His mental health does seem to have deteriorated significantly,” she added.
“He has, however, been committed to completing his unpaid hours of work. He tells me he feels that psychologically, getting out of his home assists him – he is doing something practical, and of benefit, and he feels of use.
“But he has not dealt with this situation well. I cannot couch that in any other terms.
“This entire matter has been reopened by his own actions. If he had knuckled down and done everything that was asked of him, he would never have seen the inside of this court again.
“But I would submit that you may, just, be able to give him a final opportunity to show he can effectively deal with his problems.”
Sheriff Pender told Logan: “You were well aware this sentence was a direct alternative to custody, and you have not complied.
“However, I’m going to give you one final chance to deal with this properly.
“But I warn you now: if you do not comply with it to the letter, you’re going to jail.”
Logan was handed a further three-month curfew and told to come back to court on July 31 for a review.
Faifley man convicted of sex attacks on two teenagers
A man who attacked two teenage girls and then a woman will be on the sex offenders register for two years.
Keith Logan, 43, of Orbiston Drive, was convicted last week by a sheriff on all three offences he faced after a five-day trial at Dumbarton Sheriff Court.
Logan sexually assaulted two teenage girls on April 29, 2017, at a house in Clydebank, just off Great Western Road. Giving evidence in a closed court and behind screens, the sheriff heard from Logan’s victims.
The first of the survivors, who was 14 years old at the time, was repeatedly touched on her body sexually before being embraced and kissed. The second girl, who was just 13 years old at the time, told how she too was touched on the body sexually.
At the time of both offences Logan was on bail from Dumbarton Sheriff Court, an order imposed on him on March 29, 2017, less than one month earlier.
Logan’s third attack happened just over two months later, on July 3, 2017, at a different property in Clydebank, where he sexually assaulted a woman by seizing hold of her body and touching her sexually.
Again he was on bail at the time from an order imposed on March 29, 2017, and was also on an undertaking to appear at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on July 12, 2017.
Sheriff Simon Pender found Logan guilty after trial.
Sheriff Pender put Logan on a community payback order, which included two years on social work supervision.
In addition, Logan was ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work within nine months – the maximum – and was electronically tagged for the next six months, the sheriff ordering him to remain at home each evening from 7pm until 7am.
Logan was also put on the sex offenders register for two years.