Aberporth paedophile Ian Roberts had images of children being abused
A police raid on the home of an Aberporth man revealed he had been swapping child sexual abuse images with paedophiles across the world, a judge heard today.
Ian Roberts, aged 48, had been discussing child abuse with other perverts from Saudi Arabia to Puerto Rico.
Roberts, of Brynglas, admitted both possessing and distributing indecent images of children.
Jim Davis, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how police seized a mobile telephone and a laptop computer after searching Roberts’ home under the Protection of Children Act.
The computer contained 29 videos of children being abused, 10 of them in the most serious category A. There were also 77 indecent still images, five in Cat A.
The mobile displayed 68 videos, 59 of them in Cat A. Mr Davis said the children being abused were as young as five.
Further investigation showed that Roberts had been sending the images to other paedophiles.
“This was the quite deliberate exchange of child pornography,” said Mr Davis.
At first Roberts blamed a computer virus and then claimed others had had access to his technology. But after being presented with the evidence he entered pleas of guilty.
Roberts’ barrister, James Hartson, said Roberts had various issues to deal with and had cancelled the broadband connection at his home to stop him accessing the Internet.
As Roberts was being sentenced he began shaking uncontrollably and said he could hear voices coming from the corner of the dock.
Judge Keith Thomas told Roberts his offending was serious, partly because it encouraged others to take such photographs and films in the first place.
He said Roberts deserved a prison sentence but the public would be better protected if he addressed his problems.
Roberts was made the subject of a three-year community order and told to complete 35 days of rehabilitation and a 12-month alcohol treatment programme.
He was also made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order restricting his access to the internet and his contact with children.
Aberporth man with child sex abuse images told to expect jail
AN Aberporth man has been warned today, June 14, to expect a jail sentence after he admitted making and distributing child sex abuse images.
Ian Mark Roberts, aged 49, appeared before Judge Keith Thomas at Swansea crown court for an initial hearing that his barrister asked to be turned into a plea and case management hearing to ensure a discount at the subsequent sentencing hearing.
Roberts, of Brynglas, admitted distributing indecent images of children, 21 in the most serious category A and three in category B.
Roberts also admitted making indecent images, 74 in category A, 37 in B and 34 in C.
All the offending took place between July 22 and December 21, 2017.
Judge Thomas warned Roberts the offences were serious and undoubtedly warranted a substantial sentence.
He agreed to delay sentencing until July 12 to allow time for a probation officer to prepare a report into Roberts’ background.