September 2019

‘Remorseless’ paedophile jailed for 17 years for multiple rapes

A “remorseless” predator who raped a young girl inside his town centre photography shop has been jailed for 17 years.

Tony Durham, of Folkestone, groomed then attacked his victim repeatedly, including multiple counts of rape.

The 53-year-old ran Folkestone’s Kodak Express in Guildhall Street where he performed a number of sex acts on the girl.

On one occasion he lured his victim into the basement where he attacked her.

He went on to rape his victim multiple times and sexually assaulted her at another address.

During the attacks, Durham would tell the girl she was enjoying herself.

But if she disagreed he would mock her saying “yeah, you do”.

A jury unanimously found Durham guilty of sexual activity, assault by penetration and oral and anal rape of a child under 13 following a trial earlier this year.

Durham was also convicted of sexually assaulting another child under 11 years old.

Prosecutor Daniel Stevenson explained Durham coerced and isolated his first victim while subjecting her to abuse.

The first attack happened on a Remembrance Sunday, Mr Stevenson said.

Judge Simon James told Canterbury Crown Court today Durham posed a significant risk to children and had acted “remorseless” following the attacks.

Impact of the “sustained” attacks had a “profound” effect on both girls, the judge added.

“Having been convicted after trial there can be no suggestion of remorse and the fact you maintain your denials means that it is impossible to divine any insight or likelihood to change,” said judge James.

“Considering the prolonged and serious nature of your offending and the obvious, significant continuing impact on your victims, I feel compelled to the conclusion you pose a significant risk of causing serious harm.

“In such circumstances, despite your lack of previous convictions, I do consider the protection of the public from further serious harm demands I impose an extended sentence.”

Durham, of George Gurr Crescent, was handed an extended 20 years sentence; 17 in custody and three on licence.

The predator’s brave victims watched from the public gallery as their tormentor was led to the cells.

Durham, who could be seen shaking his head throughout the hearing, avoided eye contact with his victims.