January 2020

Pervert jailed for abducting and sexually abusing seven year old girl

A pervert who sexually abused a child after abducting her outside a Holmfirth park has been given an eight-and-a-half-year extended sentence.

Gavin Sykes lured the seven-year-old girl into his car as she played with friends and drove off before police quickly tracked down his distinctive car.

Leeds Crown Court was shown footage from a police body-worn camera in which the victim was panicked and crying when she was rescued from the car.

Later that night, she told her mother that the 42-year-old had touched her ‘where he shouldn’t’.

West Yorkshire Police believe that more harm would have came to the child if their response had not been so quick.

Sykes was told he must serve four-and-a-half years in custody followed by a further four years on licence

Prosecutor Deborah Smithies said Sykes had invited four females, ranging in age from 13 to 67, into his car in June last year.

She said the seven-year-old had been playing with friends in the park on Woodlands Avenue in Thongsbridge at around 7.40pm on June 20 last year when Sykes pulled up in his ‘distinctive’ Toyota Celica.

She said the victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, got into the car and Sykes drove off.

Another child spotted the incident and ran off to tell the girl’s mother.

Police were called at 7.47pm and a search began for a silver Toyota Celica, which had a spoiler and stickers on it.

Fifteen minutes later, officers spotted Sykes’ car on nearby Springwood Road in Holmfirth and stopped it immediately.

The victim was found in the front passenger seat, panicked and crying.

Sykes, of New Mill Road, Wooldale in Holmfirth, appeared drunk and was arrested at the scene but refused to be breathaylsed.

In his police interview, Sykes told officers that the girl had asked him to give her a ride in his sports car and he did not see anything wrong with it.

He denied touching her sexually.

The victim was reunited with her mother at Holmfirth police station and taken home where she said Sykes had slapped her face then touched her ‘where he shouldn’t’.

She was found to have a small amount of swelling near her left eye, two small, ‘unusual’ bruises on her chest, a cluster of bruises on her thighs and bruises on her legs and arms.

The court was told she slept in her mother’s bed that night and wet the bed

Sykes was unanimously found guilty of committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence and two counts of sexual assault of a child under the age of 13 after a trial last month.

He admitted child abduction and failing to provide a specimen of breath.

As well as being jailed, Sykes was made subject to an indefinite sexual harm prevention order, ordered to sign the sex offender register indefinitely and disqualified from driving for five years.