June 2020

Southsea pervert who had 15,000 child abuse images claimed they were ‘safety net’

A convicted paedophile was caught with more than 15,000 images of child abuse.

Brian Hemborough ‘systematically’ searched for the abuse images, claiming he used them as a perverted ‘safety net’ to stop himself abusing children.

Hemborough was already being monitored by police – following convictions in 1989, 2004, 2013 and 2016 – when his devices were seized and checked.

So many images and videos were uncovered that police just took a sample of 15,000 from the 55-year-old’s devices.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard some children were in ‘discernible pain’ in the images, and were as young as two.

Prosecutor Stuart Ellacott said the defendant twice lied to police claiming he had no internet-enabled devices, telling officers in December 2018 ‘he was hoping he would get something’ like that for Christmas.

The socially-distanced public gallery containing two people erupted as judge Roger Hetherington jailed Hemborough with cries of ‘he’s ruined people’s lives’.

One man shouted ‘12 months?’ as judge Hethering jailed the defendant for 32 months.

Hemborough admitted eight charges of making indecent images, two breaches of a sexual offences prevention order and three charges of possession of indecent images.

He was secretly viewing the images between December 2015 and January this year.

Jailing him, the judge said: ‘When the police attended your premises earlier this year it was found that you had a number of devices which on analysis were found to contain a very large quantity of indecent images at all levels and including moving images – on the basis of the sample taken, a little under 15,000.’

The judge said Hemborough had a ‘very significant record of previous convictions including various contact offences’ in 1989 when he was jailed for 10 years.

Detailing probation’s findings, the judge added: ‘You at times sought to justify what you did, to minimise the reality that you plainly harbour supportive beliefs in the area of child abuse and you have a high degree of preoccupation (in children) – all those are very troubling matters.’

He added: ‘You told the police that you have used indecent images as what was termed by you as a safety net to prevent yourself committing contact offences.’

Hemborough must sign the sex offenders’ register for life, and is subject to a lifetime sexual harm prevention order.

May 2020

Southsea pervert admits having more than 11,000 child abuse images

A pervert was caught with a sickening hoard of more than 11,000 child abuse images.

Brian Hemborough, 56, of Eldon Street, Southsea, will be assessed by probation officers before he is sentenced to see if he is classed as a dangerous offender.

If so, he could face an extended prison sentence.

During a remote hearing at Portsmouth Crown Court, Hemborough admitted eight charges of making indecent images of children

He admitted two charges of breaching a sexual harm prevention order by using devices not declared to police.

Hemborough admitted having category A, B and C images. A is the worst. Some were videos.

The court heard he had 9,959 images, and admitted having 1,160 at a previous hearing – making 11,119.

The final total revealed at sentencing on June 12 may be higher as not all the charges read out during the brief court hearing listed the number of images involved.

Judge Roger Hetherington ordered a pre-sentence report and referred to a comment Hemborough made about ‘what he would do if he was not permitted to access’ images.

‘The crown would say in the circumstances an assessment of dangerousness would be required by the court,’ prosecutor Matthew Lawson said.

Hemborough was remanded into custody.

April 2020

Southsea man admits having 1,000 indecent images of children

A convicted paedophile has admitted having more than 1,000 indecent images of children.

Brian Hemborough, 54, of Eldon Street, Southsea, appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.

He admitted possession of 232 category A indecent images, 155 category B and 773 category C, the least severe.

He had the 1,160 images at his home address.

The defendant is due to be sentenced at Portsmouth Crown Court at a date yet to be set

Hemborough was remanded in custody by magistrates.

July 2013

Judge spares Winchester man jail for possessing 4,999 indecent images

A convicted Winchester paedophile who admitted possessing thousands of indecent images of children has avoided a jail sentence.

Brian Hemborough, 48, of Colson Close, Winnall, was given a three-year community rehabilitation order with the condition he is supervised and attends a sexual offenders’ programme.

Hemborough, who admitted possessing 4,999 indecent images of children between October 2010 and November last year, was banned from unsupervised contact with children under the age of 16, and put on the sex offenders’ register for life.

Winchester Crown Court heard that Hemborough had breached an interim sexual offences prevention order banning him from contact with children when he went fishing with an 11-year-old boy earlier this month.

The court was told he had previous convictions for offences against young boys, and was jailed for 10 years in 1984 for buggery and indecent assault.

In 1994, he was convicted of indecency with a child, and in 2004 of possessing indecent photographs of children.

Sentencing, the Recorder of Winchester, Judge Keith Cutler, said he faced a “stark choice” of either imposing a lengthy jail sentence—which could be appealed — or a community rehabilitation order.

Judge Cutler said his main duty as a judge was to protect any children Hemborough might come into contact with in future.

He came to the conclusion “very reluctantly” that the best way to do that was a community rehabilitation order, with the condition he attend a sexual offenders programme to reduce risk of reoffending.

Frank Abbott, prosecuting, said it was “a very unusual case” as Hemborough was caught after a police investigation into how a folder of indecent images of children was secretly loaded onto a random company website.

More than 3,000 people, who had a special password, browsed the site over a 57-hour period, including Hemborough. His details were passed to police who searched his home and seized his laptop. Mr Abbott said police found a “very substantial number of images on his laptop.”

Most (4,822) were at the less serious end of the scale, although 78 were levels four and five — the most serious. The child victims ranged in age from one to 16.

Mr Abbott said Hemborough admitted he was sexually attracted to children and avoided swimming pools and parks.

Nick Rowland, mitigating, said Hemborough recognised he had a problem. He said the most recent offences involved the internet rather than “direct contact”, although that was still a crime.

On the breach of the interim sexual offences order, he said Hemborough had been fishing when the 11-year-old boy asked for help untangling his fishing line. “It was not the most serious breach of a sexual offences order or deliberately seeking out a child or grooming.”

However, earlier the court heard Hemborough had taken the boy fishing on a number of occasions.

June 2013

Winchester man admits possessing thousands of indecent child photos

A WINCHESTER man is awaiting sentence after admitting having thousands of indecent images of children.

Brian Hemborough, 48, of Colson Close, Winnall, pleaded guilty to possessing 5,297 photos and also making eight indecent images, between October 8 2010 and November 7 last year.

Magistrates at Basingstoke transferred the case for sentencing toWinchester Crown Court on July 9 and remanded Hemborough on unconditional bail.

They also imposed an interim sex offences prevention order which restricts his internet use and bars him from unsupervised contact with children under the age of 16 years.