November 2020

Bbay killer who murdered 13 month old found dead in prison

The murderer of a one-year-old boy who was serving life in prison for his evil acts has DIED behind bars.

Andrew Lloyd murdered his girlfriends 13-month-old baby son Aaron Gilbert, after subjecting him to a four-week catalogue of brutality back in 2005 in Swansea.

The Prison Service has now confirmed he has died whilst serving his term in prison aged 37.

A spokeswoman said: “HMP Full Sutton prisoner Andrew Lloyd died in custody on November 19. The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman has been informed.”

A Swansea Crown Court jury had found Lewis guilty of failing to protect her son from violent, drug-taking Lloyd at their home in Gwylfa Road, Townhill.

Lloyd viciously attacked the baby when he was alone with him on May 5, 2005.

He lost his temper and shook Aaron violently, causing his head to collide with a wall.

Lloyd killed 13-month Aaron Gilbert after subjecting him to a sustained, four-week catalogue of brutality.

Mum Lewis had left Aaron with Lloyd while she went shopping — even though she knew he had assaulted him during weeks of abuse.

After Aaron died in hospital the following day, a pathologist found a severe brain injury and almost 50 external injuries.

Lloyd, then 23, was sentenced in December 2006 at Swansea Crown Court with Aaron’s mother, then 21-year-old Lewis.

He was given a minimum of 24 years in prison, meaning he would have been 47 if he served his full term.

Lewis was jailed for seven years for familial homicide and attempting to pervert the course of justice in what was a legal landmark at the time. She was one of the first people in Wales and England to face the charge of familial homicide.

At the time, Swansea Crown Court heard that the relationship between Lewis and Lloyd began at the end of March 2005.

After moving in with Lewis, Lloyd developed a hatred of baby Aaron.

The jury heard how he had yelled at him, picked him up by his ears, thrown bottles at him, swung him by his ankles “like someone swinging a cat by its tail”, put a blanket over him as if to smother him, and blown cannabis smoke in his face.

There was also evidence that five days before Aaron died, Lloyd bit him hard on the cheek.

Aaron became so disfigured by being systematically and violently assaulted that a neighbour likened his appearance to that of the Elephant Man.

Sentencing Lloyd, the judge, Mr Justice Langstaff said at the time: “You murdered Aaron after subjecting him to a sustained catalogue of brutality during the last four weeks of his life.

“I regard your conduct during those four weeks as being effectively inseparable from what you did on the day when you inflicted the fatal injury.”

In 2007, Lloyd’s case reached London’s Appeal Court as he challenged his minimum jail tariff of 24 years.

His lawyers argued that the sentence took insufficient account of his youth and turbulent personal background.

But Lord Justice Gage said doctors had noted 50 separate injuries on Aaron’s body after his death in May 2005.

The injuries covered his small body “from head to foot”.

December 2006

Mother jailed after baby’s death

A mother found guilty of the familial homicide of her 13-month-old baby in a landmark prosecution has been jailed for six years at Swansea Crown Court.

Rebecca Lewis, 21, failed to prevent baby Aaron Gilbert’s murder by her partner Andrew Lloyd, 23, in May 2005.

The Swansea woman’s prosecution for the new offence of familial homicide was the first in Wales.

Lloyd, also from the city, was jailed for 24 years after admitting murdering Aaron, who died from brain damage.

Lewis was one of the first people in the UK to be convicted of familial homicide, which became law in May 2005.

She had denied the charge but was found guilty last month following a four-week trial.

The jury at Swansea Crown Court heard that Lewis had begun a relationship with Lloyd following the break-up of her relationship with Aaron’s father, Gareth Gilbert.

The court was told that although Lewis was largely absent during Lloyd’s attacks on her son, she did nothing to prevent it.

Lewis admitted that the baby became terrified of Lloyd and that she had seen Lloyd flicking the child’s ears and feet when he cried, picking him up by his ears and ankles and throwing him onto a bed and settee.

But she told the court she had trusted Lloyd and did not believe he would seriously hurt the baby.

On the day before Aaron died on 5 May 2005, Lewis left the baby with Lloyd for about 15 minutes to go shopping.

When she returned, Aaron was lying on the kitchen floor with Lloyd trying to revive him.

Doctors at Swansea’s Singleton Hospital and later the University of Wales Hospital, Cardiff, tried for 18 hours to save Aaron’s life but he died of brain damage.

Paul Lewis QC, prosecuting, said Lloyd had caused a “constellation of some 50 injuries” including extensive swelling and bruising, significant internal injury to the brain and a bite mark to the child’s face.

Lloyd had initially denied Aaron’s murder, but changed his plea to guilty during the trial.

Passing sentence, High Court judge Mr Justice Langstaff told Lloyd: “You murdered Aaron after subjecting him to a sustained regime of beatings during the last four weeks of his life.”

He told Lewis she had allowed the violence against Aaron to continue for her “own selfish reasons”.

“You put your own interests first, above and beyond that of your vulnerable child,” he added.

“You could have stopped the violence that Lloyd was subjecting Aaron to. You could so easily have got the authorities to stop it.”

Det Ch Insp Paul Burke, of South Wales Police, said he was pleased a “difficult” inquiry was over.

He said: “We are pleased at the outcome and relieved for the family who have been through an extremely sad and upsetting period.

“Perhaps now his family and friends will be able to close this awful chapter in their lives, and move on. Our thoughts are with them.”

Familial homicide was introduced in the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004 to deal with parents who keep silent or blame each other for fatal injuries involving children.

A 21-year-old mother received a two-year community order after being convicted of the offence in April 2006 in south London.