November 2020

Child rapist arrested again just four weeks after release from prison

A child rapist stashed a mobile phone he was hiding from police in his bedcovers.

Gary Dyer was previously jailed for sending “obscene” messages to a 14-year-old girl and her schoolfriend, asking them to meet up with him

At the time an order forcing the 37-year-old to make any phones available to police for inspection was imposed.

But one month after he was released from his 17-month sentence he was caught with two mobile phones, and had also struck up a relationship with a 31-year-old who had a mental age of a 13-year-old who had an eight-year-old daughter.

He appeared at Liverpool Crown Court after admitted breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) on two counts.

Tom Challinor, prosecuting, said: “Mr Dyer was made subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order on August 16, 2019, following a conviction for engaging in sexual communication with a child.”

Mr Challinor explained that he received the sentence after he contacted a 14-year-old and her schoolfriend and would send “messages of an obscene sexual nature”.

He said: “He made several requests to send indecent images of herself and also requested they met up.”

Mr Challinor said: “On November 8 last year he was released from his sentence on licence was made subject of various conditions including being managed by a probation officer.”

He explained it came to the probation officer’s attention Dyer had been on social media “posting messages about a new relationship he was involved in”.

The court heard “the lady concerned had an eight-year-old daughter” and the probation officer was concerned Dyer may be breaching the terms of his SHPO.

Mr Challinor explained that when police went to Dyer’s home in January he did not immediately answer the door.

Officers arrested Dyer and recovered one Samsung S5 mobile phone. Mr Challinor said: “Asked if there were any other phones the defendant said there weren’t.

“The address was searched and a further phone was found. Concealed within the bed covers was a Lenovo mobile phone.”

An internet route was also discovered, Mr Challinor told the court, which it appeared was “being accessed through the Lenovo phone”.

When confronted with the phone Dyer said it was his girlfriend’s and that she had lent it to him.

Mr Challinor clarified to the judge that while the terms of Dyer’s order allow him to have a phone, he must make it available to police for inspection, which he had failed to do.

The court heard Dyer’s girlfriend was visited by officers and “it transpired [she] has learning difficulties”.

Mr Challinor said: “Despite being in her 30s she has a mental age of a 13-year-old.”

When asked about her daughter she told the court she was in care and had no access to her.

Mr Challinor said: “She confirmed she was in a relationship with the defendant and it was in all respects consensual.”

Dyer also has a previous conviction from 2004 after admitting “intercourse with a girl under 13”, today classed as rape, for which he received three-and-a-half years in prison.

Dyer, of Harris Street, St Helens, admitted two counts of breaching the SHPO at his first court appearance.

Judge Andrew Menary, QC, sentencing, said: “You must have known full well what you weren’t allowed to do.

“Terms of the order are clear and prohibit you from having a device capable of accessing the internet unless you make police aware.

“These were deliberate breaches of your Sexual Harm Prevention Order and probably you licence conditions.

“The order is imposed to keep other people safe from your activity – it’s a safeguard particularly for young people against communication offences against them by you give your past offending.”

Judge Menary explained that after breaching the conditions Dyer had been returned to prison and ordered to serve the remainder of his 17-month prison sentence for which he was on licence at the time.

As he suspended the sentence the judge said: “It seems your rehabilitation and the safety of the public would be better served by you being given intensive support by the probation service in the community”.

The judge handed Dyer an eight-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months.

As part of the order he must complete 20 Rehabilitation Activity Requirements.

Dyer was also ordered to take part in the Horizon program and the judge imposed a three-month curfew from 8pm to 6am.