November 2020

Creep, 51, who bought vodka for schoolgirl before sexually assaulting her avoids prison

A pervert who bought vodka for a child before sexually assaulting her in the city centre has been spared a prison sentence.

Ian Taylor, 51, assaulted the youngster after a night of drinking vodka with her and her friends in April 2019.

Taylor, a man with a previous conviction for sexual offences, was placed on a community payback order after previously pleading guilty at Dundee Sheriff Court.

The court heard how the child had met up with her friends before going to the Overgate to change out of her school clothes.

They stayed within the city centre for several hours and spent most of the evening at the steps between City Square and Castle Street before being approached by Taylor at around 9.45pm

Prosecutor Gavin Burton revealed how the children believed he was under the influence of alcohol.

“The accused engaged with the group in general chat,” Mr Burton said.

“He then offered to buy alcohol for the girl and went to the Tesco on Murraygate with her.

“He purchased two bottles of vodka, a bottle of Smirnoff Ice and a bottle of blue WKD.

“The group went into the same tunnel near Castle Street and drank alcohol with the accused.”

The court heard how the girl and a friend began to feel “uneasy” around Taylor and later went to McDonald’s on Reform Street. Taylor later asked the girl for a kiss which she refused.

However, Taylor would not take no for an answer and sexually assaulted before saying: “That’s for respect.”

The girl and a friend subsequently left in the taxi and later reported the incident to staff at the school they attend.

Police later caught up with Taylor who gave “no comment” answers while being interviewed at headquarters.

Taylor, of Dunmore Gardens, pleaded guilty on the day he was due to stand trial to sexually assaulting the child between April 2-3 2019 at City Square, Reform Street, Crichton Street and elsewhere in the city centre.

He also admitted buying the child alcohol at Tesco, Murraygate for consumption in a public place. Taylor returned to the dock following the preparation of social work reports.

Sheriff George Way said he would impose a community-based order due to the positive progress being made by Taylor on his current order.

He said: “It’s a very hopeful report. He might well expect a custodial sentence for this, however, this has been reduced to a summary complaint so my sentencing powers are limited.”

Taylor was placed on supervision for three years and ordered to perform 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was placed on the sex offender’s register for the period of his supervision.