Update: Minimum period has now been increased to 10 years and eight months

December 2020

First picture of seven-year-old Emily Jones’ killer

A woman has been sentenced after 7-year-old Emily Jones was killed in Bolton.

Eltiona Skana (24/02/1990) has today (Tuesday 8 December 2020), been sentenced to life with a minimum of eight years at Minshull Street Crown Court, after pleading guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Skana has been sentenced under the Mental Health Act 2003 and has been deemed a dangerous offender so will need to be medically assessed before being considered for release.

On Sunday 22 March 2020, 7-year-old Emily Jones was riding her scooter through Queen’s Park with her father, Mark when she began scooting towards her mother, Sarah who was jogging through the park.

On her journey, Emily was scooting past a bench that Skana was sitting on and completely unprovoked; Skana got up and grabbed Emily before attacking her with a knife and throwing her to the ground.

Emily’s father immediately ran to her aid whilst Skana fled on foot towards the exit of the park, followed by a member of the public who bravely managed to detain her until police arrived at the scene.

Emily was rushed to hospital but had tragically sustained an un-survivable neck injury and sadly passed away despite the best efforts of medical professionals and her family.

Skana has remained in secure facilities ever since this incident.

December 2020

THIS is the first picture of seven-year-old Emily Jones’ killer — who faked being a trafficking victim so she could stay in Britain.

Eltiona Skana’s lies meant she was free to roam the streets, despite her being a recognised threat to children.

The paranoid schizophrenic, 30, grabbed Emily as the little girl rode past on a scooter in a park, and slashed her throat with a craft knife.

It emerged yesterday that medical staff knew the mentally ill Albanian could harm youngsters — but those monitoring her in the community were unaware of the danger.

And even after Emily’s killing Skana’s care staff referred to her as “a kind and lovely person”.

But Emily’s dad, Mark, called for those who left Skana free to kill to be sacked.

He described his daughter’s killer as a “ticking time bomb”.

Law firm manager Mark, 49, added: “The coward murdered my child. I personally think she is a threat to the public and I want her to spend all her days in prison.”

Skana entered the UK illegally in 2014 in the back of a lorry and applied for asylum, claiming to be a trafficking victim.

The Home Office rejected her claim but, after an appeal, reversed its decision, later granting her leave to remain until December 2024.

But in court, it emerged that Skana admitted to doctors her trafficking victim claim was a lie.

It was far from clear if this information was ever passed on to immigration authorities, her trial at Manchester’s Minshull Street crown court was told.

In July 2015, Skana was sectioned after she wielded a knife against her neighbours. She was discharged but arrested two years later for attacking her mother.

She was said to have disconnected the electricity to her boiler, removed light bulbs and binned her TV, which she claimed was transmitting her neighbours’ voices.

An internal NHS report by Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust found Skana, possibly armed with a knife, threatened a girl of 13 three years before killing Emily.

Yet, despite the clear threat she posed, clinicians reluctantly changed her medication to less effective drugs.

She refused to take her anti-psychotic tablets and a month’s supply of unused medication was found at Skana’s flat after she killed Emily.

Another mental health trust caring for her at the time had rated her “green” for stable in its traffic light system of monitoring patients.

Skana struck as Emily was playing on her scooter with her dad in Bolton, Greater Manchester.

The little girl spotted her solicitor mum, Sarah Barnes, 42, jogging and raced off to greet her.

But as she passed Skana sitting on a park bench, the killer got up, grabbed her and slashed her throat.

Mark has told how he cradled his dying daughter in his arms, pleading with her to stay with him.

Despite the catalogue of failings, a serious incident review commissioned by the trust after Emily’s killing clears its staff of any blame.

It stated: “In our opinion, unfortunately the incident could not have been predicted or prevented.”

Skana’s prosecution for murder was dropped on Friday after prosecutors accepted there was no realistic prospect of a conviction.

She was found NOT guilty of murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter and will be sentenced later today.


The report, marked ‘strictly confidential’, reveals:

Three years before Emily’s brutal death, Skana had threatened a 13-year-old girl while possibly armed with a knife – but this disturbing incident was not included in her risk assessment;

Skana was twice detained in psychiatric hospitals before killing Emily, but repeatedly escaped;

Her mental state was assessed just once in the three months before she killed Emily;

Skana had a long history of violence, including wielding a knife and a brutal attack on her mother;

Clinicians ‘reluctantly’ bowed to her demands and changed her medication to less effective drugs – despite concerns that her condition would deteriorate;

Her sister warned staff ‘early on in her illness’ that Skana refused to take her anti-psychotic tablets. A month’s supply of unused medication was found at Skana’s flat after she killed Emily.