February 2021

Sex offender caught viewing indecent images of children

A sex offender appeared “distracted” when police monitoring officers called at his home on a “risk management” visit, a court was told.

Jason Aaron Young was on his desk top computer when officers called at his home on December 8, last year.

Durham Crown Court heard that although he was told the officers wanted to check his computer equipment, he did not stop what he was doing.

Claire Anderson, prosecuting, said he continued using the computer and appeared, “distracted”.

The computer and other devices were seized and examined, revealing indecent images of children.

Young was arrested and made no reply to police questions.

Miss Anderson said a full check of the computer revealed a total of 309 indecent images, 59 in the most serious category, 51 of them videos, featuring mainly male children, aged five to 16.

They were downloaded between March 19, 2019, and the early hours of December 8, last year.

He was found to be an administrator for accounts catering for users with a sexual interest in underage males.

The court heard he was subject to the police visit as part of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO), due to expire in July this year, prohibiting him from viewing indecent images of children under 18.

It was imposed after he received a 12-month sentence in a young offenders’ institution for making and distributing indecent images of children in August 2012.

The 29-year-old defendant, of Palmer Road, Newton Aycliffe, admitted three counts of making indecent images of children, all in breach of the SHPO, at a recent plea hearing.

Judge James Adkin said the material Young was viewing was, “utterly repellent”.

He told Young: “You don’t seem to understand, but individuals like you provide a market, so people continue to film such images, so you indirectly contribute to further abuse of young people.”

Passing a one-year prison sentence the judge made Young subject of a new SHPO, plus registration as a sex offender, both to run for the next ten years.

January 2021

Man admits downloading indecent images for the second time

A man caught with indecent images of children for the second time was told to expect to receive, “a significant custodial sentence”.

The warning was given by to 29-year-old Jason Aaron Young at Durham Crown Court, after he admitted three counts of making indecent photos of children.

They relate to 309 images downloaded between December 1 and 8, last year, which put him in breach of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

His counsel, Alex Menary, asked for sentencing to be delayed to allow preparation of a background probation report on his client.

“He’s been out of trouble for some time, but has a previous conviction, from 2011.

“He received 12 months’ detention in a young offenders’ institution but did complete sex offender-based work when on licence, aged 20.”.

Judge James Adkin agreed to request the report, and asked the author to assess the risk of repeat offending posed by the defendant.

He told Young: “You have pleaded to a fresh charge of making indecent images. and you should expect to receive a significant custodial sentence, in due course.”

Young remains remanded in custody pending sentence, on February 16.