September 2020

Man who sexually assaulted schoolgirl among those sent to prison

A man who said he sexually assaulted a schoolgirl because he wasn’t getting sex from his wife and a man who flouted a court order banning him from contacting his ex-partner were jailed this week.

Peter Wilkie, of Meadow Road, Barrow, Bury St Edmunds, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a child in August last year.

Jailing Wilkie for 30 months at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday, Judge Rupert Overbury described what he did as “appalling”.

He said that when the offence came to light Wilkie told his wife: “If I’m not getting it from you I’ll have to get it from somewhere else.”

“One can only hope that because she was so young time will heal and will erase the memory of that awful event,” said Judge Overbury.

He described Wilkie’s claim that the girl had an itch as “rubbish.”

He said that Wilkie had led a solitary life after neighbours and the community he lived in had found out about the offence.

In addition to being jailed he was made the subject of a lifelong sexual harm prevention order banning him from having any contact with girls under the age of 16.

He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for life.