February 2021

Sick soldier who raped mum, 26, as she put daughter, 6, to bed 

A mum has told of the terrifying moment a soldier raped her at home after saying her clothes were “an invitation” for sex as her daughter slept upstairs.

Georgia Hinton, 26, bravely waived her anonymity to reveal Serupepeli Niubasaga, 41, sexually assaulted and raped her after following her home from a barbecue.

The mum from Livingston, Scotland, had taken her now six-year-old daughter home from the event back in May 2018, only to find Niubasaga had followed her.

Terrified Georgia was putting her daughter to bed when she realised Niubasaga, who is originally from Fiji, had followed her home and crept into the room.

The rapist then followed Georgia back downstairs and told her the way she dressed would attract the “the wrong attention” in his home country.

He added that men would see her clothing as an “invitation” for sex before raping her.

In July 2020, Niubasaga was jailed for seven years for the horrific attack.

In 2017 pharmacy assistant Georgia moved to the Duke of Gloucester barracks in south Cerney, Glos, with her now ex-wife, a postal and courier operator in the Army, and her then three-year-old daughter from a previous relationship.

“I soon met all of the Army wives and settled in,” Georgia said. “My daughter joined the nursery there and she made plenty of friends too.”

In May 2018, Georgia dropped her daughter off at a neighbour’s house for a play date. 

When she picked her up, the neighbours said they were having a barbecue and invited Georgia in.

Soon after, she spotted soldier, Niubasaga. 

“I recognised him,” she said. “He was a friend of an acquaintance and I’d seen him at the nursery and supermarket before, but we’d never spoken.

“Suddenly, he began to gawk at me, I immediately felt on edge. Then, he came over and introduced himself.

“But as we were chatting, he stared at my body. I realised he was a creep.”

Georgia told Niubasaga she needed to top up her drink, but he stepped in front of her blocking her way.

“He kept saying, ‘Where are you going?’ and ‘Stay longer’.

“I sternly told him ‘No’ before joining my friends.”

Georgia felt Niubasaga’s eyes on her for the rest of the night, and decided to leave at midnight once her daughter had fallen asleep.

“I said goodnight to everyone and carried her home. I walked upstairs and tucked her into bed,” she said.

“Suddenly, I heard a creak a behind me. I turned around and saw Niubasaga stood in the middle of the bedroom. My heart stopped. I realised he must’ve followed us home.”

Ignoring Georgia, Niubasaga walked up to her daughter and told her to go to sleep. 

Terrified he would hurt her daughter, Georgia left the room for him to follow her and sat down on the sofa downstairs in silence.

“Niubasaga then kneeled down and said: ‘You need to listen to me, the way you dress in my country would attract the wrong attention’.

“Then suddenly, he started fondling my breasts. He continued saying, ‘Men will take the way you look as an invitation’.”

Georgia said she wanted to scream but quietly sobbed instead for fear Niubasaga would hurt her daughter.

“Moments later, he pushed up my skirt, moved my underwear aside and raped me. I tried to kick him off but he pinned me down,” she said.

Afterwards, Niubasaga left Georgia’s house without saying a word. 

“I collapsed into a heap on the floor. Eventually I managed to ring a friend for help, I was hysterical.”

Three hours later, the police and Army welfare arrived and the next day Niubasaga was arrested. 

“Army welfare kept saying how Niubasaga was innocent until proven guilty,” Georgia said.

“I was horrified that they were defending him. After that, I suffered horrible flashbacks.”

The following week, Georgia and her daughter moved 200 miles away to live with Georgia’s family in Lowestoft, Suffolk.

More than a year later in October 2019, the trial arrived but it was a hung jury.

In July 2020, Niubusaga was found guilty of one count of sexual assault and one count of rape against Georgia at Bristol Crown Court. He was jailed for seven years. 

“I went through hell during the two trials,” Georgia said. “The defence ridiculed me as a mother for not taking my daughter away.

“Meanwhile, Niubasaga lied through his teeth, telling the jury that I raped him.

“But thankfully, I was believed in the end. Sadly, not many women have got justice like me though.

“More needs to be more done for sexual assault victims in the Army.”