March 2021

Derby man fuelled child abuse by downloading indecent images

A Derby man with a “clear interest in children” has walked free from court after being convicted of downloading indecent images of children.

Joshua Mecia, of St John’s Close, Allestree, downloaded some of the worst types of indecent images of children, with some photos showing children as young as six.

The 30-year-old pleaded guilty to three charges of making indecent photos or pseudo-photographs of children at an earlier court hearing in February.

However, he walked free from Derby Crown Court on Monday, March 15, after it was claimed he had already voluntarily contacted a charity which works to prevent child sexual abuse.

The court heard Mecia had downloaded the photos from an internet forum over the course of nearly two years.

Raglan Ashton, prosecuting, said: “The defendant downloaded a number of indecent images into two devices – the first being a laptop and the second being a mobile phone. These images were downloaded between August 29, 2016 and May 28, 2018.”

The court heard the police looking at the devices found three Category A (the worst) images, two Category B images and 19 Category C images.

He added: “The defendant clearly has an interest in children.”

Mecia was arrested by police on June 28, 2018, and admitted to officers he knew it was illegal to obtain or possess indecent images.

In mitigation, his lawyer said Mecia had voluntarily contacted the Lucy Faithfull Foundation, a charity which works to prevent child sexual abuse, following his arrest and had already signed the Sex Offender Register.

She said: “He’s 30 years old and of good character. He is adamant that this won’t happen again, but also is his family. He has their support.

“He has resolved not to be in this position again.”

Sentencing him six months imprisonment suspended for 12 months, Recorder Adrian Reynolds told Mecia he had fuelled the abuse of children by looking at the images.

Mecia was also given a 30-day rehabilitation activity requirement, ordered to pay £500 in prosecution costs and told he would stay on the Sex Offender Register for seven years.