May 2021

Pint-sized pervert who sent sick child abuse videos via Skype is back on the streets

A pint-sized pervert who distributed videos of a young girl being raped is back on the streets after serving 18 months in prison.

Our pictures show twisted child sexual abuse images distributor Martin Stapleton walking free from Arbour Hill Prison last week, before being whisked away from the jail in a car driven by a social worker.

Twisted Stapleton emerged from the prison hiding his face behind a mask, sunglasses and baseball cap 

On exiting the prison gate, the 32-year-old hopped into the passenger seat of the waiting car before being driven into Dublin city.

At his sentencing hearing in October 2019, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard how Stapleton distributed the same child abuse video on three occasions.

The then 30-year-old pleaded guilty to distributing child pornography and possessing child pornography at his address in Glenmore Green, Ballyboden on July 17, 2014 and July 1, 2015 respectively.

Garda Alan Young told John Berry BL, prosecuting, that gardai received information on June 30, 2015 from police in Merseyside in the UK.

The information was to the effect that someone at Stapleton’s address had sent indecent images via Skype to a person who had been arrested in the United Kingdom.

Gardai searched the house the following day and seized a number of electronic devices.

Some 119 images and 18 videos of child pornography were discovered across all of these devices.

Detective Garda Donagh Mannix told Mr Berry that he was able to recover details of conversations and files shared by the accused on Skype.

Detective Mannix said that on three separate occasions Stapleton sent a video of child pornography to three different locations.

He said the video showed a female child being orally raped by an adult man.

During interviews with gardai, Stapleton admitted to possessing and distributing the material, but denied that he had ever touched a child inappropriately.

Sentencing Stapleton to two years in prison, Judge Martin Nolan noted that the devices could not be examined at the time they were seized by reason of lack of resources.

He said that to have this type of charge hanging over someone was onerous. He said had the matter been dealt with expeditiously, the sentence would have been in the region of three years’ imprisonment.