Nicholas Wells pleads guilty to Hudson’s Field sexual assault

A 29-year-old man has pleaded guilty to a serious sexual assault which took place in Salisbury two years ago.

Appearing at Salisbury Crown Court for a plea and case management hearing today (May 7), Nicholas John Wells, of Eyres Way, Salisbury, admitted to a charge of Section 2 Assault by penetration. 

The court heard how he sexually assaulted a woman in her 30s just after midnight on May, 19 2019 in Hudson’s Field.

Shortly after the incident an e-fit drawing of the suspect was released, and the appeal was renewed in May 2020, a year after the assault.

However a breakthrough came in the form of developments in DNA evidence sampling technology which meant that Wells, a suspect in the case, was matched to samples taken from the victim. He was subsequently charged and remanded in custody.

DC Hannah Milburn, the Wiltshire Police officer leading the investigation for CID South, said: “We are very pleased with today’s result which means that Wells’ victim will not have to endure having to revisit her horrific ordeal by being involved in a court trial. 

“I’m sure that the public will be reassured that a dangerous sex offender has been taken off the streets and will face justice for his crimes.”

Her sentiments were echoed by DI Dean Garvin who said: “This was a horrific crime.

“Nicholas Wells attacked a young lady in her home and sexually assaulted her. I would like to pay testimony to her courage, both in reporting this and throughout the process. 

“This has been a long and complex investigation.

“DC Hannah Milburn never gave up on her efforts to bring the victim justice. I want people to know that we never give up on these cases, even if they take years, we will continue to work on them and try to solve them. 

“The offenders should live with that. They should always look over their shoulder. That is what they do to their victims.”

Wells is due to appear before Salisbury Crown Court on July 2 for sentencing.