May 2021

Man jailed for life over attacks in Bournemouth

A sex predator has been handed a life sentence for attacking three females in a night of violence in Bournemouth.

Mark Robert Williams stabbed two of his victims in the neck as part of an “horrendous series of offences”.

The 37-year-old previously admitted two counts of attempted murder, two counts of false imprisonment, committing grievous bodily harm with intent and sexual assault by penetration.

A sentencing hearing at Winchester Crown Court was told that Williams, of Cecil Road, Bournemouth, had previously been jailed for offences of attempted rape and rape, dating back to 2008 and 2009, respectively.

The Honourable Mr Justice Neil Garnham described the offences on the night of Thursday, February 18, this year and into the early hours of Friday, February 19, as “barbaric” in a “truly dreadful case”.

Williams must serve a minimum term of 14 years before he can considered for release on licence by the Parole Board.

Prosecutor Rob Welling said the defendant had been arrested at his home address earlier on February 18 on suspicion of distributing indecent images of children.

Mr Welling said Williams had a phone with internet access which he had no informed police about.

As a result he was in breach of a lifelong licence condition following release from his term of imprisonment for the rape and attempted rape offences.

However, he was not detained in police custody and instead taking back to his flat.

Williams gathered tape, cable ties and a large knife into a draw string bag.

Mr Welling said it would seem the defendant had the intention of hurting somebody but at that stage it was not known who.

Dorset Police received a report of a stabbing at an address in the Charminster area of at 8.08pm.

Officers attended and located a woman aged in her 40s with a cut to her throat and abdomen, as well as a puncture wound to her thigh. A teenage girl who was also present at the address had a cut across her cheek.

One of the victims told officers at the scene that a man Williams – had attended the address and attacked them, tied them up, gagged them and threatened to kill them.

The teenage girl was sexually assaulted by Williams.

The court heard that during this incident the defendant told his victims he was “dangerous” and that he should never have been released from prison previously.

Williams turned the television on loud to drown out cries for help before leaving his victims locked in the property without their mobile phones.

They managed to break free of the restraints using scissors before seeking help.

Body-worn camera from the first police officer to enter the address was played in court.

The prosecutor described the scene as “harrowing”.

The woman was flown to hospital by air ambulance in a life-threatening condition and the girl was taken to hospital for treatment to serious injuries.

At 11.59pm on the same day officers were called to reports of a woman screaming in Vale Road.

Williams had repeatedly stabbed her in the throat before leaving the scene.

The victim – a woman aged in her 30s – was found with a laceration to her throat. She was flown by air ambulance to hospital and required surgery due to the severity of her injuries.

Officers located Williams who was covered in blood and acting strangely in Old Christchurch Road.

As a police car pulled alongside him on the pavement, he fell to his knees, put his hands out and told officers he was they man they were looking for.

Having been arrested, he gave full accounts of what took place in interview and he was subsequently charged.

Williams entered the guilty pleas at a Bournemouth Crown Court hearing on March 29.

Mr Justice Garnham ruled that the defendant was a dangerous offender, telling him he had “absolutely no doubt that you meet the criteria for dangerousness”.