May 2021

Barrow pervert created fake profile to chat to ‘teenage girls’

A pervert who was snared by paedophile hunters after trying to communicate with five young girls has been jailed for three years.

Paul Goulding, 37, created a fake profile pretending to be a teenage boy to chat to girls aged 12, 13 and 14 on Facebook.

Between February and May last year, Goulding exchanged thousands of messages, sending explicit videos and photographs and making sexual suggestions.

But the defendant, of Napier Street, Barrow, later learned he was talking to an online paedophile hunting group

Goulding was arrested on July 12, 2020, after the group handed over a dossier of evidence to the police.

He admitted posing as a good-looking young man called James Baker, from Basingstoke, but did not accept he had any sexual interest in children.

Paul Brookwell, prosecuting, told Preston Crown Court: “There were mentions of meeting up but these were mentions only – there were no concrete arrangements made.”

He pleaded guilty to 14 counts of attempted sexual communication with children, attempting to incite sexual activity and attempting to incite a child to watch a sexual act.

Judge Beverley Lunt, sentencing, said: “The pleas accepted represent what was repeated and predatory behaviour.

“You actively sought out young girls to respond to you by lying about your own age and using a fake photographic image.

“You say to the author of the presentence report that nothing of what you did was in order to gain sexual gratification yourself – you said you got a sense of power out of pretending to be someone else and engaging young girls in conversation.

“That is obviously untrue because the speed at which you moved to sexual and graphic conversations with each of these girls aged 12 and 13 plainly shows sexual gratification was your motive.”

The judge said the defendant’s behaviour showed an element of grooming and said the images he sent were ‘disgusting and highly inappropriate’.

She sentenced Goulding to three years in prison and made a 15-year sexual harm prevention order.

He must remain on the sex offenders register indefinitely.

A paedophile hunter, who goes by the name of ‘Daz Huntz’ and led the ‘sting’ against Goulding, drove all the way from Devon on Friday to attend the case in person.

He said: “Five years in prison would be nice, but a custodial sentence is a custodial sentence.

“It could be better, but it’s better than some.

“I just want these people locked up.

“I just want these people arrested and accountable for what they are doing.”

February 2021

‘Sexual predator’ from Barrow admits child sex offences

A pervert who sent explicit messages to people he believed were children is due to be sentenced.

Paul Michael Goulding has admitted 14 charges that relate to sexual offences against children after he sent explicit message to ‘decoy’ accounts purporting to be children.

The 37-year-old was charged with a number of offences including attempting to incite a girl purporting to be under 16 into sexual activity.

He also faced five counts of attempting to cause a child to watch a sexual act.

As well as that he admitted four counts of attempting to incite a person purporting to be a child to engage in sexual activity, attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child and one of attempting to sexually communicate with a child.

He was said to have sent the explicit messages using social media.

Goulding, of Napier Street in Barrow, admitted all the charges in a hearing at Preston Crown Court.

He is now due to be sentenced at the same court.

The defendant admitted charges brought against under the Criminal Attempts Act 1981.

One of the witnesses in the case, a woman acting as a decoy for an online group that attempts to bring sex offenders to the attention of the police, described Goulding as a ‘very dangerous sexual predator’.

She sent the messages he sent over social media were ‘vile’.
After his appearance before South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court, Goulding was banned from having any unsupervised contact with children.

He is due to be sentenced in a hearing on May 21.