Worcester paedophile who attacked sleeping boy back in court to admit fresh offences
A paedophile who recorded himself sexually assaulting a sleeping child has made a return to Worcester Magistrates Court after further offences came to light.
We reported in May that Ignas Navikas, Of Barbourne Road, Worcester, admitted a string of child sex offences including sexual assault of the unidentified child under 13 between July 1 and November 27 last year.
Navikas also admitted at the time to making indecent photographs of children between the same dates – 422 at category A, 188 at category B and 747 at category C.
On Thursday Navikas returned to Worcester Magistrates Court and pleaded guilty to fresh offences of making more than 400 indecent images of children.
The 38-year-old admitted making 38 at category A – the most serious level – between January 1, 2018, and November 27, 2020.
Navikas also pleaded guilty to making 85 indecent images at category B, 238 at category C and one count of possessing an prohibited image of a child between the same dates.
Prosecutor Melanie Winterflood said that after a police investigation they found images were uploaded via a KIK account registered to Navikas.
A warrant was carried out, a mobile phone was seized and information was later downloaded that brought the offending to light.
“It was on that phone, after a full forensic download, there was a significant quantity of indecent multi media of children, aged between the ages and three and 15,” Miss Winterflood said.
Mark Turnbull, defending Navikas, said: “I’m not sure why police did it this way but when Navikas was arrested there were two parts to the investigation.
“Those (other offences) were charged but they didn’t charge for this until later on, after the download had been completed.
“They are connected matters, of a similar type.”
Magistrates agreed the new offences should be tied with others, with Navikas to be sentenced on June 29.
A judge previously warned Navikas, who again hid his face outside court, that he faces a custodial sentence.
Worcester paedophile hides from camera after sex attack on sleeping boy
A paedophile who recorded himself sexually assaulting a sleeping child and made the worst sort of indecent images of children hid his face at court.
Ignas Navikas pulled a dark hood over his head as he left Worcester Crown Court after admitting a string of child sex offences on Tuesday.
The 38 year-old of Arboretum Road, Worcester was warned he faces jail when he appears for sentence on June 29.
He admitted sexual assault of the unidentified child under 13 between July 1 and November 27 last year.
Navikas further admitted making indecent photographs of children between the same dates – 422 at category A, 188 at category B and 747 at category C.
The defendant also admitted possession of 10 prohibited images of a child. Lee Egan, defending, said: “This defendant is of previous good character and is remorseful. He wishes to accept his guilt immediately.”
Mr Egan said his client, who spoke through a Lithuanian interpreter, also had ‘no overseas convictions either’. The court heard that the images were found on four different devices.
The prohibited photos were described as ‘spy shots’ and the indecent images were downloaded from the internet. “The child (who was sexually assaulted) is asleep in his bed” said the Alexandra Bull, prosecuting. She added that the culpability was A (the highest) ‘given it was recorded’.
Judge Nicholas Cole said: “These are serious matters which are likely to cross the threshold for a custodial sentence. But I’m not going to sentence you today because it’s appropriate for the court to have more information about you. I’m therefore directing there is a pre-sentence report from the probation service.
That report will assist the court as to the risk you pose of reoffending. It will be an all options report and it will assist the court in determining whether there’s any alternative to a sentence of immediate custody.”
He made it clear that, in adjourning sentence, he made no promises as to what the sentence would be.
“The most likely sentence is one of immediate custody. That will be a matter for the judge once all the information is available,” he said.
As part of bail he had to surrender his passport and must have no contact with any child under 16. He is also subject to sex offender notification requirements.
A condition of bail was added that he co-operate with the probation service in the preparation of a report.