Isle of Wight paedophile jailed after breaching court order

A registered Isle of Wight sex offender has been jailed after breaching the conditions of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO).

As part of the SHPO, Martin Phillip Simms, 42, of Park Mews, Sandown, is prohibited from deleting his internet history.

He is also required to produce digital devices to police for inspection on request, and inform police of any online usernames he has within three days of creating them.

He appeared at the Isle of Wight Magistrates’ Court back in September.

On September 2 of this year, police, accompanied by probation workers, visited his home address unannounced.

During the visit, the internet history on his mobile phone was examined and officers could see had been using a teen chat room app on a different device.

Simms eventually admitted he had a second device which was handed to police for inspection.

On checking this device, the teen chat app was not present and Simms admitted he had deleted it including all of its internet history.

He also admitted that the username for the app was not one that he had registered to police, which he was required to do.

Police established that the device held two other apps with two further usernames which had not been registered with police.

These were again social media apps for chatting with young people.

Simms was charged with three counts of breaching a sexual harm order, which he admitted when he appeared at Isle of Wight Magistrates’ Court on Friday, September 3.

Appearing at Newport Crown Court, Simms was handed an 18-month jail sentence.

Simms is already serving a seven-year sentence, on licence, which is due to expire in 2024.

He will serve the remainder of that sentence in prison before then beginning his 18-month jail sentence for the SHPO breaches.

September 2021

Sandown paedophile faces jail over court order breaches

A Sandown sex offender is likely to face a lengthy prison sentence over three breaches of a sexual harm prevention order.

Martin Simms, of Park Mews, appeared before the Isle of Wight Magistrates’ Court on Friday (September 3).

The 42-year-old indicated a plea of guilty to three breaches of a sexual offences prevention order ­— by deleting internet history from a mobile phone, failing to make a mobile available for police inspection, and failing to provide police with two online usernames within three days of their creation.

The offences are dated between June and September, 2021.

Prosecutor, Liz Miller, said Simms had been convicted of attempting to meet a child following sexual grooming in 2007, and sentenced to 30 months imprisonment.

She said he was then convicted in 2011 of grooming a child, and again in 2013.

He was given a seven-year jail term with an extended three-year licence.

Ms Miller said Simms was placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely and had two sexual harm prevention orders.

She said he moved to the Island in June of this year, and on Thursday, September 2, police visited his address unannounced.

Ms Miller said the visit was in relation to Simms’ old mobile phone being handed to police by his probation officer.

She said on arrival, Simms appeared flustered and was visibly shaking.

The court heard he provided police with his new phone, which was inspected, and was asked if he had any other devices capable of accessing the internet.

During the examination, police found he had been using the app, Teen Chat Room, on an unregistered device.

Ms Miller said Simms denied having the device initially but later revealed it was hidden in his bed sheets.

On checking the device, the app was not present, and Simms admitted deleting it.

He was asked what usernames he used, and Simms disclosed he operated under Marty UK, and had claimed to be 19.

It was also revealed Simms used the username The Undertaker on another app.

Simms’s case was deemed unsuitable to be sentenced in the magistrates’ court, and his case was adjourned to October 15 at the Isle of Wight Crown Court.

He was remanded in custody.