September 2021

Exeter man abused 13-year-old girl he met on Instagram

A pervert from Devon has been banned from contacting under age girls on the internet after he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old.

Luke Orr met the schoolgirl through Instagram and exchanged messages with her on Snapchat before they agreed to meet in Exeter.

He kissed and cuddled her and went on to put his hand down her trousers when she invited him back to her home to watch videos while her parents were out.

She wrote a victim personal statement saying she was ‘broken’ and detailing how she needed counselling and treatment for anxiety and depression as a result of the sexual assault.

Orr was banned from any contact with females under 16 by a Sexual Harm Prevention Order imposed by Judge Timothy Rose at Exeter Crown Court.

The judge turned down an application by the prosecution to impose a specific ban on him using Snapchat because it is already prohibited by the order.

Orr, aged 21, of Grendon Road, Exeter, admitted two counts of sexual activity with a child and was ordered to attend a sex offenders’ treatment programme and do 40 hours of rehabilitation activities under a three year community order.

He was put on the sex offenders’ register and made subject to the Sexual Harm Prevention Order for five years.

Judge Rose told him: ”Your contact on the internet was the background but the way this developed was very much to do with your own personal difficulties.

“The reason these offences are serious are because there was a five year age gap. This relationship should never have happened and was very damaging to her.

“You put your hand under her clothing and that was very disturbing and has proved extremely problematic to the victim and caused her great harm. She was very young and not equipped to deal with this intrusion to her body.

“She said in her victim personal statement how it had interrupted and blighted her life. She has been left in a very dark place and it is impossible to say how long that will persist.”

Mr Simon Burns, prosecuting, said Orr met the girl online through Instagram and knew her age by the time he committed the offences in September 2018. She was wearing school uniform at one of their meetings.

The more serious offence happened when they were at her house alone watching a film on television and put his hand inside her trousers. 

Her victim statement said she has suffered three years of depression, feels broken, and just wants to return to being a normal teenager.