October 2021

Evil paedophile chooses to die in prison – after rejecting chance of freedom

A serial offending paedophile babysitter rejected the chance of early release from prison after he caught Covid before dying behind bars, according to a new report.

Dennis Dobson was rushed to hospital after suffering a heart attack at HMP Full Sutton and as his condition deteriorated he tested positive for the virus and was shipped back to prison.

The 81-year-old isolated in the facility’s palliative care suite and received end of life care

A prison GP then discussed making an application for him to return home on compassionate grounds but Dobson was adamant he would not die a free man, according to the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman’s report.

He died from coronary heart disease on November 23 last year.

Dobson had been jailed for 21 years in 2012 after being convicted of assaulting four girls, one as young as five, over an 11-year period.

He was only caught when one victim told her teacher and he was eventually found unanimously guilty by a jury who took just 45 minutes to return a verdict to Hull Crown Court.

He was convicted of two rapes, three attempted rapes and ten sexual assaults.

Dobson had multiple chronic health problems when he initially arrived at prison in 2011 to await his trial, including heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.

He had already suffered two previous heart attacks in 2006.

In 2019 he was then diagnosed with cancer and kidney disease.

At that stage, hospital staff concluded that he was too frail to undergo active treatment and that would be suitable for palliative care only.

He first rejected the chance to potentially leave prison early at the start of last year when a GP discussed a release on temporary licence, but the prisoner said no.

At the time of his incarceration he had been living jobless in east Hull, and claiming disability benefit for a back injury and diabetes.

He was considered a strict and stern authoritarian figure by the children he was entrusted to watch over, and threatened them with violence if they considered telling people about his crimes.

Dobson had been admitted to hospital on October 2, 2020, after suffering a heart attack and on October 13 his left foot was amputated due to an ulcer.

On November 12 last year he was sent back to Full Sutton where he died 11 days later.

March 2012

Jailed for 21 years: Hull babysitter who assaulted four girls

A babysitter who sexually assaulted four young girls has been jailed for 21 years.

Denis Dobson, 56, attacked four girls, one as young as five, over 11 years while babysitting them.

He was finally caught when one of his victims told her teacher at school.

Dobson was found unanimously guilty by a jury at Hull Crown Court after just 45 minutes following an eight-day trial.

He was convicted of two rapes, three attempted rapes and ten sexual assaults and Judge James Sampson sentenced him to 21 years behind bars.

Detective Sergeant Craig Nicholson said Dobson had never shown remorse at any stage.

Det Sgt Nicholson said: “What he did was absolutely evil. He has had no fear and complete disregard for his victims. He felt he was beyond reproach.

“He was trusted as a babysitter for the children by their parents. He has robbed them of their childhood.

“He was a strict, stern authoritarian figure and they were frightened of him. He shouted at them and threatened them with violence if they told anybody.

Det Sgt Nicholson said police were called in when one of the girls broke down and told her teacher.

“We began investigating Dobson and more victims came to light,” he said.

The girls were forced to give evidence at court after Dobson denied the charges.

Throughout his police interviews, he answered “no comment” to the questions asked.

With Dobson now behind bars, Det Sgt Nicholson has praised the bravery of the children.

He said: “He has put four young girls through a horrific ordeal over this lengthy investigation.

“They are relieved it is all over and out of the way now so they can get on with their lives.

“They have all been worried and frightened about it. It will be a long time before we know the long-term effects they may have suffered.

“I really have to commend their bravery.

“After eight days, the jury has obviously found their evidence compelling.”

Dobson had threatened the girls with violence and told them they would not be believed.

Dobson, of Glebe Road, east Hull, had been unemployed for eight years and was claiming disability benefit for a back injury and diabetes.

He has been ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Det Sgt Nicholson said the 21-year sentence reflected the grave crimes he had inflicted on the young girls.

“It will have a lifelong impact on them,” he said.

“This sends out a clear message of how serious the justice system takes this kind of offending. I’m really pleased with the sentence.”